Thursday, May 19, 2016

ALIEN: Out of the Shadows: An Audible Original Drama, by Tim Lebbon and Dirk Maggs

Narrated by Rutger Hauer, Corey Johnson, Laurel Leftkow and others

     Brilliant Drama between A L I E N and ALIENS

The first thing that struck me when I began listening to this drama is that the sound effects were great; never intrusive, never over the top. The effects add a great deal to the dramatic impact of the story. Now, I really like the ALIEN series and found this addition to be done with the attention to detail that only a fan could have managed. This story takes place in the time between the first movie A L I E N and the ALIENS. But, you say, how can that be since Ripley wakes up in ALIENS still in her sleep pod thirty-plus years after the events in A L I E N. Just let me tell you that this is a careful attempt to fit into the framework of the original series. It is to be considered canonical within the constraints of the movie story elements.


The actors in this drama are all very well cast and give the story a tremendous boost. The stand out here is Laurel Leftkow as Ripley. I am still not convinced that is not actually Sigourney Weaver incognito, but that is the story the publisher is putting out there so I will have to agree with them. Leftkow, if not Weaver in disguise, does the best possible impersonation of Sigourney Weaver doing Ripley that you can imagine. When she speaks, you get an image of Ripley in your mind every time. Any fan of the ALIEN series will be absolutely  enthralled with this dramatic performance. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home