Tuesday, July 23, 2013

MATTERHORN by Karl Marlantes

Narrrated by Bronson Pinchot

The Few and the Proud Fight through a S.N.A.F.U.

Perhaps the most descriptive thing I can say about MATTERHORN is its believability. Not having served in Vietnam, I cannot attest to the accuracy, but Marlantes sure makes me believe that the events in the novel could have happened just as depicted. The characters are well drawn; all are Marines, nevertheless, a wide range of personalities is on display. The situation is, at times, desperate: marching through jungle with no food or water for days, with the flesh rotting on you feet, while pursuing the enemy forces, is a high-stress environment. I felt for the men gong through the bush as if I were one of them. This novel afforded me with insights into how a Marine unit operates, both under fire and when in the rear preparing for the next Op. If you are wishing for a Disney ending look elsewhere. This is war, and even the winners lose part of their soul in the fight. Highly recommended.


Bronson Pinchot delivers a top-notch performance. His range of voices in portraying the different characters is at once astonishing and yet transparent. I found myself totally immersed in the story to the point where I felt as if I were sitting next to the guys listening to their conversation. He transforms what is an excellent novel into a rich and entertaining listening experience. His narration is unsurpassed. I give him the highest possible rating. 

[This was posted on Audible.com]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home