Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Wolfe Book Reading Milestone




This is a red letter day for me. I have been a fan of Gene Wolfe ever since reading The Shadow of the Torturer. Over the years I have kept up with his novels. I have read all of 31 of them at least once. Over the past few years I have been working toward the goal of reading all of his short story collections. Today, march 13th at 8;40 am, I finished reading Starwater Strains. This was the only gene Wolfe story collection that I had that I needed to read. The only gap is my Wolfe story consumption is his scarce book The Young Wolfe; which is too expensive for me.

So what are the best Gene Wolfe short stories? My recollection on some of these collections is scanty and I know I have left out some fine stories so this list will need revising, but these are all really good stories. Here is my list:

From the collection The Island of Doctor Death and Other Stories, and Other Stories:
Seven American Nights
The Island of Doctor Death and Other Stories

From the collection Endangered Species:
A Cabin on the Coast
The HORARS of War
The last Thrilling Wonder Story
[The Map*]

From the collection Castle of Days, (being a compliation of Gene Wolfe’s Book of Days and The Castle of the Otter):
La Befana
These are the Jokes*

From the collection Stories from the Old Hotel:
Slaves of Silver
A Solar Labyrinth

From the collection Strange Travelers:
Useful Phrases*

From the collection Innocents Aboard:
Under Hill
[The Old Woman Whose Rolling Pin Is the Sun*
The Night Chough
The Old Woman Whose Rolling Pin is the Sun*]

From the collection Starwater Strains:
From the Cradle*
Of Soil and Climate
Hunter Lake
The Arimaspian Legacy*
[Empires of Foliage and Flower*
The Boy Who Hooked the Sun*]

(*Connected stories related to the Brown Book of TBNS)
(‡ Stories connected to The Long Sun series)

Now that I have reached this milestone I am undertaking the next phase of my Gene Wolfe reading project. I plan to re-read each of his 31 novels again. I plan to read them in approximate publishing order, except where a series in involved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home