Thursday, March 09, 2017

FULL DARK NO STARS by Stephen King

Narrated by Craig Wasson, Jessica Hecht

Truth in Advertising

Stephen King has written four very dark novellas—as the title indicates. The first “1922” is from the point of view of a wife-killer trying to justify his crime. Truly horrific. It is so bleak that I had to set it aside for a while until my sanity returned. I finished it because Craig Wasson is simply fantastic.

The second entry “Fair Extension” is King’s entry in the “China-man Button story.” But, true to form, King explores the depths of the character as he spirals into deeper cynicism embracing his hatred.

“Big Driver” is my favorite; starting as a brutal assault and then finishes with an ending worthy of Vigilante Force. Jessica Hecht narrates this story expertly.

“A Good Marriage” is a wry excursion into the “two wrongs make a right” philosophy. Amusing.  


All four stories exemplify Stephen King’s strong suit: his characters are fascinating. You just want to go along with them and see what they are up to. I don’t like it when King reels me in and them drags me down the sewer. I like the stories where the people are good hearted in a bad situation better than those with black hearts in a blacker darkness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home