Tuesday, July 23, 2013

PANDORA'S STAR by Peter F. Hamilton

"Has all the SF Elements but no Substance"

Pandora's Star
·                                 by Peter F. Hamilton
·                                 Narrated by John Lee

For me this was a very rough experience. This book sounded great and has great reviews here. I am a Science Fiction reader from way back. I enjoy Space Opera and grand scale future histories with faster than light travel, such as the known space series of Larry Niven. This one had memory recording and longevity that reminded me of the great 8-Worlds stories of John Varley and the Takeshi Kovacs novels of Richard K. Morgan so I thought I would give it a try. And I did try. I listened for the first four chapters, nearly five hours, and I couldn't get interested. This book is just a bunch of SF elements cobbled together in a mechanical fashion. I am very disappointed.

The narrator has a fine voice that I would like to hear reading another novel. I think the material he had to work with did not allow him to shine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home