Monday, May 04, 2015

FIRESTAR: Firestar Saga, Book 1 by Michael Flynn

Narrated by Malcolm Hillgartner

     Dry Plot Outline Without Characterization

Having recently finished listening to Micheal Flynn’s EIFELHEIM, and enjoying it very much, I thought I would try another one of his books to see if he could attain the quality reached in that book. And, seeing as this is the first of a series, I was anticipating many hours of sense-of wonder Science Fiction entertainment. Here he falls completely flat. This reads like a plot outline from a Larry Niven novel but without the magic touch required to bring the story to life. I had to punch out on this book after only four hours.

Malcolm Hilgartner is just OK. I suppose that had he delivered an over-the-top dramatic performance that this audiobook could have been made interesting, but his straight narration is not enough to resurrect this lifeless story.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home