Tuesday, September 02, 2014

THE WINDUP GIRL by Paolo Bacigalupi

Narrated by Jonathan Davis

…..A Future That I Don’t Want to Live In…..

Paolo Bacigalupi has a vision for his future that is very detailed and nuanced. It is a dystopian future that is neither fun nor enjoyable to dwell in; as a result, this leads to a less than engaging book. I listened to half this book before I bailed on it. I was not liking it. My mind kept wandering from the fragments of story that I was able to detect and I became more concerned with what I was going to listen to next than the book I was listening to at the moment. I knew it was time to cut the cord. For me, it relates most closely to the Sprawl Trilogy of William Gibson. if you like the world it is fun, and the details will be fascinating, if you do not like the imagined future it is alienating and in the details will seem devilish.


Jonathan Davis is always good and his performance kept me hanging on longer than I might have with a less capable narrator. But in the end not even he could rescue this book for me. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home