Thursday, September 17, 2015

WARSHIP by Joshua Dazelle

Narrated by Mark Boyett

     Trek Prior to Kirk

If this book seems strangely familiar—and it should. I don’t this it was marketed as such, but this is a Star Trek novel. The Federation of Planets is just beginning. The starships travel about using Warp Drive, and the ship is ruled by a loose cannon Starship Captain that often has to break the rules to get things done. The novel has a slow beginning section but then things begin to happen. There is plenty of ship-to-ship battle action in the later sections. The one element of Star Trek that is painfully missing is: humor. I often lament the shortage of serious Science Fiction, but I do appreciate a little levity interspersed with my space battles.

Overall, Warship is a book with some potential. I will probably listen to the next installment when it is released, but without the infusion of a little humor I can’t imagine that I will stick with it beyond that.

Mark Boyett is a great narrator for military Sci-Fi.. I greatly admire his work on the Undying Mercenaries series. His voices for female characters are so good that sometimes it is creepy. Mr. Boyett has a deep voice, so when he speaks the female voices they come out sultry. Knowing that the attractive voice of Celesta is coming from male vocal cords is a bit unnerving. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home